Thursday, March 26, 2015

Whole30: Paleo Burger

Week 4 of the Whole30! I'm so close, yet so far away.

Sorry, I kind of skipped blogging during my third week. Once people find out you don't have a job you start getting calls to babysit every few days. I'm a pretty hot commodity right now.

It seems like every week of my Whole30 I've had a different favorite recipe, so I wanted to go back in time and share my Week 3 favorite with you all. It's quick, easy, and delicious. It's the Paleo Burger!



Meat

I start out by frying up a patty of ground beef (you could use any ground meat). First, I mix a little ghee into the meat before I form it into patties. Then I season with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder; just a little sprinkle of each on each side. Lastly, I slap it in a heated pan and cook for a few minutes on each side. I like burgers to be a little pink in the middle. You should be left with lots of juices in the pan.

Toppings

Choose which veggies you like on your burgers. Personally, I grilled some onions in the leftover hamburger juices, then added some avocado. Tomato would have been good too, if I'd had any.

Don't forget the egg! An egg cooked over easy will really add some great moisture to this burger. One of the things I've struggled with most on the Whole30 is not being able to add sauces unless I make special paleo version myself. However, a nice runny egg yolk is a simple and natural way to add moisture to any dish.

If you don't like eggs, leave it off! No problem.

Now, you have all your components, time to put them together. Cut up some lettuce and put it on the plate first, then add your burger patty, the egg, and any veggies on top. You've got your burger, but you're not quite done!

Ranch Sauce

Like I said, you need a yummy sauce to top off your burger, and this ranch recipe I found on the Whole30 recipe website is really delicious.

Here is the recipe:

2/3 cup light olive oil
1 egg
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp granulated garlic (or 1/4 tsp garlic salt)
1 Tbsp herbs (dried or fresh)
2 Tbsp coconut cream

Place everything except oil and coconut cream in a food processor then slowly drizzle in oil while food processor is running. Then add the cream.

I did this a little differently and I really liked the results:

1. I put all the ingredients except coconut cream inside my magic bullet and it blended just fine.
2. The only herbs I used was fresh dill and it was delicious.
3. I left out the coconut cream altogether.

Done my way the sauce is very thin and not as thick and dressing like as ranch normally is. It also mixes so deliciously with the juices from your burger. I made it twice and it turned out great both times, so I know it's not a fluke.

Now that you have your sauce, drizzle it on top of your burger and enjoy! Your paleo burger is complete and completely delicious.

I'm giving this recipe a huge SUCESS because it got me through many days of cravings and many nights of ice cream dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment