Sunday, March 9, 2014

Tex Filipino

Today was Sunday and Sundays are kind of hit or miss with the cooking thing because you either planned ahead and bought something to make or you have abosolutely nothing in your fridge. Today was sort of a "miss" day. Lucky for the starving Doc, I like to think of new things to make. So, today I'm going to post about two recipes:

Cilantro Lime Rice and Pork Tocino!


So, once again, this isn't exaclty a first attempt. I have made the Cilantro Lime Rice (Cafe Rio Style) before, but I loved it so much and was definitely craving it. Maybe I should call this blog "Second Attempts" since that's all I've posted so far. Anyway, I found a rice recipe I really love online at ohsweetbasil.com which promises to be just like Cafe Rio. So, I tried it and I'll give you the recipe now:

Cilantro Lime Rice

2 c. rice (I always use Botan Calrose rice, but IDK why??)
4 c. water
1 chicken bouillon cube (the recipe says 2 tsp. but I think its the same)
2 tbs. butter
1 handful chopped cilantro
1/2 lime, juiced (I actually juice the lime and then throw it in the pot for a few minutes while it boils to soak up all the flavor
1/2 - 1 can diced green chiles (I used half today, but could have used the whole thing)

Basically, you just put everything in a pot, cover it, and wait til the water evaporates, then you mix it all up. You can use a rice cooker obviously, but some of us aren't so fancy. Not only do I not have a rice cooker, but I don't have any sort of kitchenaid or electronic mixer, a baster, and my husband STILL won't buy me a creme brulee torch, but I digress...
The rice ends out turning out really flavorful and a little mushy, but I actually like it like that for this recipe. Not only can you eat it by itself, it's great for Tex Mex dishes, but, like you'll see, you can use it for other things.



Which brings me to the next part of dinner: Pork Tocino. What the F is Pork Tocino you ask? Well, frankly I had no idea either. It was introduced to me by my husband who spent two years in the Phillipines and will randomly come home from the Asian market with a pack of Milkis or an entire box of Filipino ramen. The first time I tried it Doc made it for breakfast and, though I was skeptical, it ended up being really good. Basically, its carmelized pork. Usually, we eat it over white rice with a yolky egg to add some moisture to the rice. However, with the cilantro lime rice, it's already a little mushy and more flavorful. Now, I know what you're thinking, "Pork Tocino isn't a recipe!" It's really not, you just take the meet out of the package and put it in a pan with a little water, once the water evaporates you add a tbs. of oil and fry it till the meat starts to carmelize.

And the best part is, you don't even have to defrost it!

My husband never really tried the rice last time I made it (it was in a burrito) and his first comment was, "It almost tastes like there are diced green chiles in this." HA! There are, duh. Anyway, he loved it and I'm adding another WIN! to the pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment